Big News And A T-Shirt

     Hello there. So, two days after I get back from Utah, I get the flu. May I just say… THIS IS A SIGN. Ahm. Anyway. Now that I have gotten enough strength to get off the couch and plug my laptop in, I can start writing again. 
     Now, for the news! Thanks to my very generous brother, Brandon, (his website link here) my small blog is getting a makeover! I now have my own domain, and will start work on the new site soon. This site will be very exciting, with a gallery of my work, bio, and another surprise I will reveal later! (It actually is very exciting, don’t worry)
     So, since I have not gotten anything done in a week, I will be writing about a commissioned t-shirt design I did forever ago. More like a month ago. But whatever. So my friend Jodi wanted a drawing of the Colosseum, since her trip is now in Italy.

     She wanted me to draw this. It’s harder than it looks. And it looks pretty hard. So I started out with a little thumbnail sketch just to get me in the zone. then I started on the larger drawing. 
The initial sketch

Then I drew it out….
Halfway done…

     There! Now, I could have made it perfect, but she said she wanted it to have that “Sketched” look. So that’s how I made it. She actually said she would have been fine with the thumbnail sketch but I refused.

 Happy sketching!

My First Masterpeice


    Can we just take a moment and let this painting sink in. The rosey cheeks, the highlights, the shadows… Then let’s realize together that, I did this. Sure, it’s rough. But compared to my first attempt at a portrait painting, this is a masterpiece that belongs in The Frick Collection. It’s actually just a study but I love love love this. I don’t want to mess with it because I’m afraid I would ruin it, but then again it’s taken all my willpower to not touch it.
     So let’s talk about the process. Firstly I should mention that my sister helped and guided tremendously. My painting would have looked much different without her help. 
     So, first I used Duralar paper and I taped it to a black foam board. Then I took condensed linseed oil and put a very very very thin layer on the Duralar. Then I started mixing my paints. I used very limited palette of 4 colors, which I will do a post on later but here’s a sneak peak.
     So once that’s done I will take a hog bristle bush by Trekkel (size 8) and I will color in all of the darkest shadows with a brownish red color.
     After that I mix one single color and use it as a base color to afterwards add highlights and shadows.
     Then I start adding highlights and shadows in big chunks with no blending or touching the strokes after they are laid.
     Then I start to blend.
     This is the point that I needed to stop since this was only a study. Here is a gif progression of my painting. I just love seeing it progress. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to get the final stage of the painting on there, but you know the finished result.
Happy Sketching!